Millet (Hirse) is one of the other plants mentioned in the Talmud. It is the oldest known cereal and today is a staple food in India and Africa. It doesn’t seem to receive the same amount of attention, but maybe that is because it is not so well known in the Western world. Botanically sorghum and teff fall into the same category, so all that is said here goes for those as well.
- Danger of chametz traces: I really don’t know.
- Danger of confusion with chametz (raw): I don’t think I have ever seen it for real, from the picture it looks more like white lentils. Other pictures though make it look like a grain. So maybe yes.
- Danger of confusion with chametz (processed): Apparently people use it to make porridge, bread – so yes.
- Botanical categorization: Cereal grain
- Known in 13th century: Yes.
- Verdict: Kitniot.
Millet photo (c) Elke Wetzig